Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Blogging can be Scary

"Get out of bed, experience life and if you want to blog, but it terrifies you, realise that while these fears might be valid, the experience of having a blog might be worth more than the terror of being misquoted."

Just saying... Well, what am I saying exactly? I'm saying this: isn't it slightly terrifying that you would publish writing on a topic that is important in your life and everyone can see it and copy and paste to their hearts' desire?

For me it is.

Why? Well here are 2 reasons off the top of my head.

           1. Once it's published, it's difficult to take it back.

Much like Twitter, blogging has the potential to attract global readers, and although you can delete a post if you aren't happy with it, the truth still stands that it was on the Internet, for anyone to behold, for a duration of time. It's possible for someone to read your article, take offense, and link it to you. Now, I know this screams paranoia and I probably am a bit paranoid.

The Good News: If you haven't said anything offensive, and think before you post, you probably don't have anything to worry about - unless you're a bit like me and tend to worry anyway.

2. Copy right or copy wrong, it still happens.

It's unfortunate but it's true. Words are cheap sometimes, and some people view them as a free for all on the internet. They are either thieves and liars, taking those words and pretending that they wrote them, ignorant, or just uneducated about ownership and copyright, in which case, a conversation could clear up any infringements.

Having said all this, I would still encourage one to go down the blogging path, even with these things in mind. So, blogging can be scary? Yes, I know I'm the one that said so, but there's a good end to this daunting story.

Life is scary. Getting out of bed in the morning can be seen as scary, but nobody ever got anywhere by sleeping all day. Get out of bed, experience life and if you want to blog, but it terrifies you, realise that while these fears might be valid, the experience of having a blog might be worth more than the terror of being misquoted.

Still this is not the final conclusion and should not be taken as blogging advice. What about you, blog visitors? Are you afraid of blogging? How valid do you think this fear is and what are some of your blogging pro's and con's?

9 comments:

  1. Here is the latest doing the rounds on Facebook:

    "Just so everyone on my friends list knows that I completed this and I am done! Facebook has changed their privacy settings once more!! Due to the new "graph app" anyone on facebook (including other countries ) can see your pictures, likes & comments. The next 2 weeks I will be posting this, and please once you have done it please post DONE!!! Those of you who do not keep my information from going... out to the public, I will have to DELETE YOU! I want to stay PRIVATELY connected with you. I post shots of family that I don't want strangers to have access to! This happens when friends click "like" or "comment"....automatically, their friends would see our posts, too. Unfortunately, we cannot change this setting by ourselves because Faceboook configured it that way. PLEASE place your mouse over my name above (DO NOT CLICK), a window will appear,now move the mouse on "FRIENDS" (also without clicking), then down to "settings", click here and a list will appear. REMOVE the CHECK on "LIFE EVENTS and "COMMENTS & LIKES". By doing this, my activity among my friends and family will no longer become public. Now, copy & paste this on your wall. Once i see this posted on your page, I will do the same. Thank You...."

    And the reply that I posted to one of my friends:

    "Dear X, I've seen this message several times over and I am not sure how effective it is. Not that I'm unbothered about privacy -I'd rather go whole hog for it. Personally though, if you are bothered about your photographs being broadcast, you should never share them on the Net, more so, if they are intimate or meant for restricted audience."

    I guess it is relevant here too.

    I have had many sentences, phrases, themes stolen from my blog. But hey, no one can steal my art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point and well said!

      I still follow the instructions on that particular Facebook message if my friends want me to (to respect their privacy choice).
      However, I don't copy and paste because I don't expect the same.

      Delete
  2. Heart, that's what writers and artists have been doing throughout the ages: exposing themselves to the public eye. I guess the desire to express themselves overshadows any fear they might have of making themselves visible and vulnerable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. Very true NP. Artists need to be courageous in this world and let their voices be heard!

      Delete
  3. Hi Heart,
    It's been quite a while, but I'm really glad I stumbled into your blog again. Hope you are well. Yes, blogging carries a responsibility to not just copy the words of others without acknowledgment. It is a tremendous privilege to think your words and thoughts can be read by people from all countries. I believe you should always aim to inform and entertain, as if you were doing it for your own personal use. If I can't entertain myself and teach something new at the same time, how can I ever expect others to read my words. Can I also ask you to check out "The Life Cycles Revolution"/Facebook and maybe like/join? It will provide a more interactive platform. My best wishes, Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil,
      It has been quite a while! I'm sorry I haven't had the time to browse around blogs like I used to. I checked out the Facebook page. Great idea. I'm happy to be one of the Facebook Fans (I liked it using my blog's Facebook page).
      Have a great day. Thanks for the visit :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, I was a bit struck with your blog post. Actually, I learned a lot from it. I think everybody should take blog posting seriously and take it by heart. Bloggers hold a power so influencing and inspiring if used in a positive way. I think everybody should take it as a motivation and a tool to empower and change other people’s lives.

    Please visit My Webblog: Online PhD UK Programs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very true! Sometimes I'm very scared when I open my heart and tell my stories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with you but the best thing to do is to ignore it since it is inevitable

    ReplyDelete

So, that was my point of view. What's yours?
Let's Have a Conversation. What did you think of this post? Any thoughts, constructive criticism or anything to add? Leave a comment!

ShareThis